My Daughter's Remarks at My 25th Gala

Elisheva Layman


I put off writing this speech for a long time because I wasn’t sure how I was going to be able to sum up 25 years into a few short minutes. Everytime I sat down to write or brainstorm, I was overwhelmed by the memories that Shaare Tefila Congregation has provided to my family. We moved to Maryland from Lowell, Massachusetts when I was four and a half and Ilan was two. My mom was pregnant with Aliza and Eytan wasn’t even a thought! In 1994, I joined Shaare Tefila’s pre- school and although I don’t have a lot of specific memories from that time, I know for a fact that some of my life-long friends were made there.
My siblings and I see Shaare Tefila as more than just a shul or my Abba’s job- we see it as an extension of our family. We have grown up playing games in the bike room on Lockwood drive and sitting on the bima during services. We have vivid memories of playing with our friends in Abba’s office when we were little. We remember so many walks to and from shul and saying tashlich on Rosh Hashana at the waterfall on route 29. We were all taught by my Abba for our bar and bat mitzvahs and all of us celebrated those simchas here. Just recently we even celebrated Ilan and Gaby’s ufruf in this very room. Shaare Tefila is more than just a building to us, it is a home.
Being the rabbi’s children is certainly not the easiest role to fill. It is hard to feel like you are in the spotlight or that your dad will have to work every weekend. We have seen the unfortunate emergencies and tragedies that occur amongst congregants and what it means to be a rabbi and a father in those situations. Being a rabbi is a constant balancing act between work and life. That being said, we don’t know our life in any other way. We know how to be the rabbi’s kids and we have experienced countless benefits over the years. Having a father as a rabbi has shaped who we all are as Jews.
Eytan and Aliza both shared stories with me about their religious paths. When Aliza was in college she asked Abba if he would come to campus and learn with her. She was struggling with her identity as a conservative Jew and rather than forcing any beliefs upon her, Abba dedicated the time to learn and discuss various traditions with her so that she could find her own place of comfort.
When Eytan went to Poland during his senior year of high school, he called Abba very disturbed by what he saw on his trip. He could not understand how a people could believe in a G-d that would also destroy them. This started a series of very intense and important conversations between Abba and Eytan that still continue today.
Abba has always taken the approach of patience, learning and guidance. Just because he has certain beliefs and values, does not mean that all four of us need to have the exact same ones. I know that the same mindset extends to his congregants. I believe that he does not impose his beliefs on anyone here, instead he shares them in an educational and factual way in order to inspire your own thinking and beliefs.
We are all so proud of the unbelievable work our Abba has put into this community for twenty five years. We have seen the patience, resilience, leadership and passion that goes into strengthening this community. We have seen the hours of sermon writing, meetings with families, nightly meetings, minyan obligations and programming that are necessary to operate this beautiful community.
Ilan remembers when we were in the process of moving from White Oak to Olney. Those many years without a building meant that our family had to move and that Abba would have to work extremely hard to keep the community motivated and together. Ilan remembers the strength and courage it took to ensure that people would come to shul in various locations and continue to support our congregation even without a homebase. Abba never gave up during that time. He always took the role of leader and was confident that the move would be the right one for all of us. It is truly amazing that he has stuck with all of us on this journey of White Oak to Olney and has done so with great pride and inspiration.
I wanted to be sure to share a bit of Torah tonight, as I know how much my Abba loves to learn and teach. A quick search and conversation with my Saba (the other Rabbi Layman) led me to a very fitting thought. The 25th word in the Torah, in the book of B’reisheet, is the word “or” which means “light.” How fitting is it that this word is one I would use to describe the person we are honoring tonight. Abba is a light upon Shaare Tefila. It is a huge accomplishment to maintain a job for twenty five years and have this much impact on one community. Not to mention, twenty five seasons of new sermons- I’m still amazed by that every high holiday season.
But seriously, I know that many people in this room view Rabbi Layman as a light in their families, a light in their homes during a dark time, and a light from the bima. I personally view my Abba as one of the brightest lights in my own life. He is always a supportive, calming and wise father. When I have faced my own dark times, he has shown me how to find the light in a situation and the logical way through it. His quiet and personable demeanor have been the source of many moments of light in my lifetime.
It is hard to imagine how we as Laymans could have a life without Shaare Tefila. Twenty five years later and we only hope and pray that we have many, many more simchas with all of you.
Abba, I speak on behalf of our family, friends and the entire congregation- you are a light in all of our lives. May you continue to find meaning in your rabbinical work, blessings in your Shaare Tefila community and many more years of strength. We love you!

And remember, buy script.

Comments