Remarks on the Occasion of My 25 Years as Rabbi of Shaare Tefila


Shabbat – VaYeitzei – Dec 7, 2019


              I can’t thank Stefanie and Saul and the Gala Committee enough for all the work they have done to make this such a successful and meaningful weekend. You all know that I am an introvert – which is hard for a rabbi to be – and I prefer not to be in the limelight. But for all the good feelings and the strong sense of community that we feel today, it was worth it for me to be outside my comfort zone.
              I wanted to just comment briefly about a verse from this morning’s portion and connect it to some of the thoughts and feelings I have on marking this milestone in my career. The portion begins with what seems to be an innocuous comment – ויצא יעקב מבאר שבע ויבא חרנה – Jacob left Beer Sheva and traveled to Haran. Normally we wouldn’t give that statement a second thought, but the medieval rabbinic interpreters found reason to comment. Every where else in the Torah we are told of a person travelling to somewhere or we are told that they have left some place. This is the only time that we are told that someone has left and is travelling to a particular place. It has to mean something for the Torah to highlight both departure and arrival. Though the commentators mainly focused on the character of the person and the affect the person had on that place, I rather like to think about it differently. The focus on both leaving and arriving must mean that no matter where we are headed in life, we can’t help but have our history with us. New experiences are always based on previous events and who we are today is always determined by what we did yesterday. Our past informs our present.
              It turns out this weekend is a significant date for our shul and for my family and me. On this weekend 25 years ago Rabbi Martin Halpern passed away. It was Friday evening and Zev & Jerry came to my house to tell me the news. I walked back to their home and together we recited psalms in Rabbi Halpern’s presence. Then I went to shul and informed the congregation at shabbat services. The funeral was held in shul on that Sunday morning.
              But that’s not all that happened that weekend. That Saturday night Lenore and I and our family celebrated Aliza’s baby naming. We had invited the entire congregation to celebrate Havdalah and a brief service welcoming her into our family and the Jewish community. It was of course a wonderful event and we were grateful that so many of you celebrated with us.
              And still that’s not all that happened that weekend. My parents were of course with us for shabbat for the baby naming and after shabbat they heard from a nurse at the nursing home in Philly that my grandmother had passed away over shabbat. So, as we finished celebrating a new life in our family, our family had to plan a funeral for my last surviving grandparent. So today, almost exactly 25 years to the day after those incredibly joyous and sad events, we are gathered together again – my personal family and my shul family – and I can’t help but see this celebration today, on that same weekend, as other than auspicious.
              In hindsight, that weekend served to foreshadow many other tragic events that year. Just two months later Nathan Rubinstein – Rita’s husband and our shul’s beloved gabbai – passed away. On Mother’s Day I officiated at three funerals. On Father’s Day I officiated at past president Siggy Sach’s funeral. And at the end of July we all were present for the horrific Goff family funerals.
              I don’t mean to put a damper on the celebration this weekend – I really don’t. But I want you to know how much those tragic events – mixed with joyous events too (there were weddings and bnai mitzvah that year too) – affected our relationship as shul and rabbi and influenced my work – our work – together. I often think back on those events and even though they were 25 years ago I think they only happened yesterday – that’s how vivid and fresh they are in my mind.
I also recognize that it’s in sadness and crisis that relationships are tested. We are put to the test emotionally and spiritually and we need to know that we can rely on people for support and comfort. I didn’t have any magic formula or words that year that could make the horror go away. But I was there for you and I did my best to offer comfort and support. And Lenore and I certainly felt the love and joy from you. That year we – Lenore and I - knew that we found a loving and blessed community and we knew that we were fortunate to be here.
              On his way from Beer Sheva to Haran, Jacob camped out for the night and had a dream of a ladder with angels ascending and descending on it. When he awoke, Jacob not only knew he was in a sacred place, but he knew that God was with him. So too I have felt that we are a sacred community. Our work has always been with God and tikkun olam in mind. Together we have shared a commitment to our sacred heritage and have strived to welcome everyone on our Jewish journey.
              Thank you for the trust you placed in me and I pray that we can continue to be inspired and blessed. 

Sunday Dec 8, 2019

              As I said yesterday in shul, I can’t thank Stefanie Levy and the entire Gala Committee enough for all their work in making every aspect of this weekend as beautiful, special and as fun as it has been. Thank you to all who contributed ads, to all who sponsored this event and to all of you for being here to celebrate with me. I want to acknowledge two people who are here tonight. First, our oldest member of the congregation – Sylvia Potash. Thank you for being here. And to my friend and colleague Rabbi Ravid Tilles. Thank you for flying in today and being here to celebrate with me. Of course, I can’t thank my family enough – my parents, my mother in law, sister in law and brother in law, my beautiful children, and my new family - my daughter in law and her parents for being here too. Being a rabbi is an … interesting job and I thank you for understanding that and supporting me. The biggest thank you, though, goes to Lenore who 33 years ago said she knew what she was getting into and, in light of all aspects of this career, has been my greatest supporter and my rock. In many ways I wouldn’t be here today without her. I love you very much.
              Though this weekend has been about me and my 25 years as your rabbi, I’d rather view this weekend as a celebration of our partnership. I couldn’t have reached this milestone without you. Synagogues need rabbis and rabbis need synagogues and I feel extremely fortunate that our partnership has been as meaningful and enriching for so long.
              Upon reflecting on these past 25 years I can’t help but remember all those in our congregation who have passed away. Of all those people, I would like to acknowledge two this evening. Each represented a different aspect of our congregation and by focusing on them I think we can be inspired. They served as role models for me and I think for us as a congregation. In no way do I mean to disregard the many other past presidents, leaders, and congregants who have passed away. They all are still dear to us and are held in high esteem. But I think that we can agree that these two deserve special mention tonight.
              Cantor Gershon Levin was a cherished partner of mine on the bima. His extraordinary voice not only enhanced our services but brought tremendous spirituality too. To this day I still relive his beautiful rendition of u-ne-taneh tokef on the high holidays and especially the remarkably dynamic and moving duet with his daughter Dahlia. But more than his talent on the bima, I remember Gershon for his humanity. He wasn’t a diva – he was grounded, he was humble, he was a mensch. Another vivid memory I have is of him helping a senior congregant who had a disability wrap his tefillin. The menschlichkeit that was the foundation of his work serves as an example to me and my work with you. I have been privileged to work with many executive directors, cantors, educators and teachers over the years and we all strived and continue to strive to do the best we can to serve you with as much humanity and humility as possible.
              One of this evening’s sponsors – Maury/Moish Potosky – passed away suddenly last week. As I said at his funeral last Tuesday, Moish was a rare individual who not only served as president of our shul but also was just as dedicated to attending and participating in shabbat, holiday and weekday services. He served as a role model to many of our current leaders who also read Torah, attend services, lead shiva minyanim and do many other tasks not necessarily associated with serving on the board or executive committee. We all miss Moish and our thoughts are with Charlotte as she is in mourning. I am confident that his life of service and observance will be a legacy to which we all can aspire.
              Together, Gershon and Moish highlight for me what it means to be Jewish and what it means to be a leader. They brought their skills and talents to shul every day in a dedicated, beautiful and humble way. They taught me that no task in the shul was too menial, no ritual too mundane. In fact, they both saw opportunities for meaning and spirituality in everything they did. I only pray that I have reflected some of their characteristics in my work with you and I also pray that they continue to serve as role models for us.
              As I said yesterday morning, I don’t like the spotlight. I know that as a rabbi that seems strange, but I really mean it. I entered rabbinical school 35 years ago with a desire to learn more about my cherished Jewish heritage so that I could share my passion and love of Judaism with you. I love being Jewish and I find great satisfaction and fulfillment in our tradition. I think that Judaism, interpreted in a modern way, can provide the spirituality, community and guidance we need to navigate this cruel and chaotic world. Our congregation is built on warmth and relationship. It conducts its business according to religious values. We see our mission as being a place that is open and welcoming to all and we strive to be a place where we can grow and thrive together. Each and every one of you has been an integral part of that plan and I have been blessed to have worked in partnership with you. With humility, with a devotion to our sacred Jewish heritage I pray that we can continue to grow together, and may we continue to serve the Jewish community with love and compassion. Thanks again to all of you, and as Moses blessed Joshua 3000 years ago, חזק ואמץ – may we be strong and of good courage in our years ahead together. Amen.

Comments