Reflections on the March For Our Lives - March 24, 2018


It is still difficult for me to adequately express my sense of awe and empowerment that I felt participating in the March For Our Lives. When the high school students announced their plans, shortly after the mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, I knew that I needed to be there. Though there were logistical challenges to overcome due to my traditional observance of Shabbat I knew that I nonetheless had to be there.  The president of our shul - Stuart Carroll - immediately agreed and our Social Action chair - Lisa Hedgepeth - made it happen.

I felt that since it was shabbat we needed to participate in a service first. Though the cause is just and the act of marching is righteous, we need to be reminded that it's all part of a bigger, timeless message. Protecting ourselves from guns is a religious imperative. So over 20 of us met at Sixth and I and participated in their Shabbat Pure and Simple service which was lovely and inspirational. In the lobby of the synagogue I met with all of our shul members and shared the Rabbi Naomi Levy prayer - below - and then we headed out.

The rally itself was incredible. First, people of all ages, races, ethnicities and ages gathered in unity and harmony for the same reason - to advocate for sensible gun legislation. All in one voice repeated, "Enough is Enough" and other similar rallying cries. Being with 800,000 people fighting for the same cause inspired me to still have hope in our country and in our youth.

Also it was remarkable to see and hear how poised and passionate the students were. One after the other from age 10 through 18 students stood without fear and with tremendous courage in front of the crowd and spoke eloquently. Through personal experience and with powerful statements the students were able to silence the huge crowd and leave us all motivated and inspired.

I thank the shul for agreeing that the message was important and for joining me. I pray that we can continue to "pray with our feet" as Abraham Joshua Heschel taught and continue to fulfill our religious destiny of fighting for social justice.

A prayer before March for Our Lives by Rabbi Naomi Levy
We will march
For our children’s sake
We will march
Because standing still is not an option
We will march
Because a new day is coming
We will march
Young and old, hand in hand
We will march
Like the Children of Israel at the foot of the sea
We will march
Until the raging waters part before us
We will march
Until our leaders act
We will march
In honor of the innocent souls we have lost
We will march
Turning the prayers of our hearts into action
We will march
“Praying with our feet”
We will march
To the beat of a mournful lament
We will march
With our heads held high
We will march
To finally end the madness
We will march
Rejoicing in triumph
We will march
And we will win, by God,
We will win.
Amen.

(pictures by Wendy Abraham)


Comments