Preparing for Yom Kippur

Now that Rosh Hashanah has passed we are in the midst of what is known as the ten days of repentance. Themes from the Rosh Hashanah service continue to be found in the liturgy the next few days as we attempt to focus on this opportunity to evaluate our relationship with God and with our fellow human beings. As we get close to Yom Kippur next week I wanted to remind you of some of our customs and what you have to look forward at services.

If you want to read my sermons from Rosh Hashanah here they are:

Day 1 - Mental Health Awareness
Day 2 - Misplaced Trust

It is customary to go to a body of water and throw some crumbs or pebbles in symbolizing "casting away" (tashlich) our sins. As we have been doing now for several years we plan on gathering at Lake Needwood by the main picnic area by the boat house for this ceremony. We'll be there from 10am-Noon on Sunday September 16. Please look for updates from the shul concerning the weather forecast.

It is traditional for people to wear a "kittel" - a white robe for services on Yom Kippur. This garment, like the tallit or even a head covering, helps us focus our thoughts on the solemnity of the day and the purity of our actions. It is also traditional to wear non-leather shoes (e.g. canvas sneakers). The rabbis thought leather was a sign of luxury and hubris, elements that distract from the humility and dependence we need to feel on Yom Kippur.

Please bring a non-perishable food item with you to services Tuesday evening and/or Wednesday during the day that will be collected and donated to Olney Help. Thankfully most of have the luxury of choosing to fast on Yom Kippur, others can't help but be hungry all the time.

Consider bringing a book to read while you are in services. Though the commentary and other additions on each page of the machzor are worth spending time and contemplating, you may feel the need to read something else. Choose from this list of books for some Jewish suggestions. 

If your doctor says that you must take medication and/or you must eat on Yom Kippur then by all means listen to your doctor! Health always comes first and you must eat or drink if the doctor says so!

On Yom Kippur I usually talk about Israel and encourage people to consider investing in Israel Bonds. I have decided this year that you may enjoy hearing from the two Bat Mitzvah girls who traveled to Israel with their families and me this summer. Orli Marshall and Taryn Schwartz will share their impressions of the trip and what they learned from it.

After they speak I will share my sermon for Yizkor. I plan on speaking about this poem by Yehuda Amichai:

On Yom Kippur 5728 (1967), I donned
Dark holiday clothing and walked to Jerusalem’s Old City.
I stood for quite a while in front of the kiosk shop of an Arab,
Not far from Shechem (Nablus) Gate, a shop
full of buttons, zippers and spools of thread
Of every color; and snaps and buckles.
Brightly lit and many colored like the open Holy Ark.

I said to him in my heart that my father too
Owned a shop just like this of buttons and thread.
I explained to him in my heart about all the decades
And the reasons and the events leading me to be here now
While my father’s shop burned there and he is buried here.

When I concluded it was the hour of N’eilah (“locking the gates”).
He too drew down the shutters and locked the gate
As I returned homeward with all the other worshippers.

–from Achshav B’ Ra’ash (“Now, Noisily”) (Schocken, 1975), page 11-12
translation by Richard Silverstein

During the break in the afternoon I plan on leading a discussion about Civil Discourse. I attended a session at a rabbinic conference last month and I will share some of the rabbinic sources and insights that I learned about this timely topic.

During the last service - Neilah - the ark remains open. You may consider offering a private prayer in front of the ark at that time. Please consider participating in this meaningful custom.

Don't forget to bring your shofar to blow the final "tekiah gedolah" - long blast - marking the end of the holiday.

Wishes for a meaningful, healthy and happy New Year!

Comments